Personality is one of the most popular subjects in psychology, so it's no surprise that this broad area is rife with fascinating research topics. Are you looking for a great topic for a paper, presentation, or experiment for your personality psychology class? Here are just a few ideas that might help kick-start your imagination.
A Few Great Personality Research Topics
- How does temperament relate to creativity? Are people with certain temperaments more or less creative? For your project, you might try administering scales measuring temperament and creativity to a group of participants.
- Are certain personality traits linked to prosocial behaviors? Consider how traits such as kindness, generosity, and empathy might be associated with altruism and heroism.
- How do personality assessments compare? Consider comparing common assessments such as the Myers-Briggs Temperament Indicator, the Keirsey Temperament Sorter, and the 16PF Questionnaire.
- Do people tend to marry individuals with similar personalities?
- What impact does birth order have on personality? Are first-born children more responsible and are last-borns less responsible?
- Is there a connection between personality types and musical tastes? Do people who share certain personality traits prefer the same types of music?
- Are people who participate in athletics more likely to have certain personality characteristics? Compare the personality types of athletes versus non-athletes.
- Are individuals with high self-esteem more competitive than those with low self-esteem? Do those with high self-esteem perform better than those who are lower in self-esteem?
- Is there a correlation between personality type and the tendency to cheat on exams? Are people low in conscientiousness more likely to cheat? Are extroverts or introverts more liable to cheat?
- How do personality factors influence a person's use of social media such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter? Are individuals who use social media frequently more or less extroverted?
- How does Type A behavior influence success in school? Are people who exhibit Type A characteristics more likely to succeed?
- Is there a connection between a person's personality type and the kind of art they like?
- Do people tend to choose pets based on their personality types? How do the personalities of dog owners compare to those of cat owners?
Before You Begin Your Research
Once you find a suitable research topic, you might be tempted just to dive right in and get started. However, there are a few important steps you need to take first. Most importantly, be sure to run your topic idea past your instructor, particularly if you are planning to conduct an actual experiment with human participants. In most cases, you will need to gain your instructor's permission and possibly submit your plan to your school's human subjects committee to gain approval.
Getting Started With Research
Whether you are doing an experiment, writing a paper, or developing a presentation, background research should always be your next step. What research already exists on the topic? What have other researchers discovered? By spending some time reviewing the existing literature, you will be better able to develop your topic further.
Need some extra help? Be sure to check out our collection of resources below, including the steps you need to follow when performing an experiment, a guide to writing psychology papers, and advice for developing your psychology project.
Very often, choosing a good idea for a unique personality term paper takes more effort than research and writing itself. Psychology has a very wide range of aspects to explore, as human personality is unique and many-sided; so the variety of topics on this subject is really huge. There are several ideas for you to get started.
Describe the most wide-spread phobias; indicate their causes and possible ways of overcoming. What are the basic differences between phobia and fear?
Make a research in the field of developmental psychology and point the behavioral peculiarities of adolescence out. What psychological crises do adolescents face?
State the most common causes of depression; describe its symptoms, possible consequence s and treatment modes.
In this paper, you should examine NLP as a branch of psychology in terms of essence, methods, concepts and fields of application.
Examine thematic literature and describe fear as a mental phenomenon; list the methods of overcoming it.
Research the origins of the inferiority complex; offer the ways to overcome it.
In this term paper, describe human character as a mental phenomenon and enumerate its components. Offer a list of character typologies.
Confirm or debunk the theory that childhood is the background of character formation.
Investigate the nature of gifts and talents. Are they exclusively inborn or can they be attained and developed?
This paper should be devoted to the comparison of male and female psychology, their peculiarities and basic differences. To make the paper more profound, explore the historical prerequisites of such differences.
Explore the concept of gender identity, its peculiarities and possible deviations.
List crises an individual faces during life. What are their origins and how do they change personality?
In this term paper, explain the connection between the inner state and outer body signals. Give the examples of the most common gestures and their emotional backgrounds.
Investigate thematic literature and describe different methods of memorizing different kinds of information. Identify the most effective ones.
Do research and describe how colors influence our psychic and what it is caused by. View color therapy as a branch of psychotherapy.