The IAS Main(Written) Exam 2014 commenced from 14 December 2014. The notification for the IAS Exam 2014 was issued on 31 May 2014. The Notification was issued for 1291 posts. The IAS Prelims Exam 2014 was conducted on 24 August 2014 and the results for the IAS Prelims 2014 was declared on 14 October 2014.
The Essay paper of IAS Main(Written) Exam 2014 is given as follows.
Time Allowed: Three Hours Maximum Marks: 250
QUESTION PAPER SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS
(Please read each of the following mstructions carefully before attempting questions)
The ESSAY must he written in the medium authorized in the Admission Certificate which must be stated clearly on the cover of this Question-cum-Answer (QCA) Booklet in the space provided, No marks will be given for answers written in medium other than the authorized one.
Word limit, as specified, should be adhered to.
Any page or portion of the page left blank in the Question-cum-Answer Booklet must be clearly struck off.
Write TWO Essays, choosing ONE from each of the Sections A and B, in about 1000-1200 words each: 5x2=250
1. With greater power comes greater responsibility.
2. Is the growing level of competition good for the youth?
3. Are the standardized tests good measure of academic ability or progress?
4. Words are Sharper than the two-edged sword.
1. Was it the policy paralysis or the paralysis of implementation which slowed the growth of our country?
2. Is sting operation an invasion on privacy?
3. Fifty Golds in Olympics: Can this be a reality for India?
4. Tourism: Can this be the next big thing for India?
UPSC 2014 mains essay paper took over all the mysteries surrounding Essay paper, where in 2014 preliminary notification UPSC stated that candidates may be required to write essays on multiple topics without any clarity, which created chaos among the civil services candidates. Now, with 2014 essay question paper it is clear that candidates need to write two topics with 1000-1200 words for 125 marks each.
2014 Essay question paper had two sections with 4 questions in each section, candidates has to choose one topic from each section. Without any deviation from the previous years’ Essay Paper, topics of 2014 Main Essay paper can be also be divided into three type – statement/proverb based, issue/opinion based and current affair/policy based.
The topics asked in 2014 Main Essay paper are as follow
1. With greater power comes greater responsibility. (Statement/proverb based topic)
2. Is the growing level of competition good for the youth? (Issue/opinion based topic)
3. Are the standardized tests good measure of academic ability or progress? (Issue/opinion based topic)
4. Words are sharper than the two-edged sword. (Statement/proverb based topic)
Section-B (125 marks)
Write any one of the following essay in 1000-1200 words.
1. Was it the policy paralysis or the paralysis of implementation which slowed the growth of our country? (current affair/policy based topic)
2. Is sting operation an invasion on privacy? (current affair/policy based topic)
3. Fifty Golds in Olympics: Can this be a reality for India? (Issue/opinion based topic)
4. Tourism: Can this be the next big thing for India? (Issue/opinion based topic)
Essay paper plays a crucial role in civil services examination, which determines not only a candidate’s finding a position in final merit list but also plays a significant role in cadre allocation. Earlier with one topic for 250 marks, there was high fluctuation of marks ranging from 30 marks to 150+ marks. With the recent change in Essay paper it will be comparatively easier for candidates to get 100+ marks in Essay. Because it will be easier for candidates to get 50+ marks out of 125, another reason could be a candidate’s future now will not be dependent on one essay as a student may write one essay of average standard and other may of excellent one. Besides it is easier to write a coherent essay of 1200 words rather than of 2500 words.
So, by this it is very clear that UPSC is dynamic and unpredictable in nature. In past few years, the Civil Services Examination has undergone many changes. With the change in the Essay paper in 2014 Main examination it complete the process of examination reform. Hope, it would have positive impact on final score of each and every Main appearing candidate.